Sunday 12 August 2012

Trying my best....

....to out myself in front of a room full of my work colleagues yesterday evening, that is. I contrived to have a stand-up row with the shift manager, who's a vile, ignorant bigot, and spectacularly stupid, to boot. The subject matter of the argument, though, was what might have raised a few eyebrows - he made a sneering remark about Tom Daley being a 'gay boy', the implication being that anything he achieves is worthless as a result of his supposed sexuality, during the coverage of last night's diving event, which was on in our rest room. I completely went off at him, in a way that has threatened on innumerable previous occasions, but never actually come about through much gritting of teeth and biting of tongue. I've absolutely no idea whether Tom Daley is gay or not, and I couldn't care less either way, but I just couldn't stand there and listen to such claptrap from a man whose only chance of making the Olympics would be if they made talking out of your arse a medal event - in that case, he could start packing his bags for Rio 2016 right now!
My daughter's visit earlier in the week was good - for her, at least. She enjoyed the gig she went to, having looked forward to it for months, and met up with a number of cyberfriends in person for the first time. I had mixed feelings, though. It was lovely to see her, for the first time in six weeks, or thereabouts, and we did have a couple of hours together, going out for lunch, but once she started getting together with her 'crew', I was immediately consigned to irrelevance, apart from being the 'guide' that got them to where they needed to be. I guess it's something every parent of a teenager has to come to terms with, that increasingly large parts of their lives won't be shared with you. And, looking at it dispassionately, that's exactly as it should be - part of the 'art of parenthood', if there is such a thing, is helping your children to become independent - and knowing when to let go. She's coming up again next weekend, though, for three days, so I'm hoping to spend a bit more time with her this time round.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I hope the manager understood our meanings, but a lot of the time they still don't get it. Usually they don't until somehow the bigotry they espouse affects them directly. Sometimes it's just too deeply ingrained for even that to make a difference, thus the multitudes of homeless LGBT youth on our streets.

    Sounds like you created a masterpiece in the parenting department. I think as well as her "moving away" is that you know you've done your job well enough to trust her at events, etc. without parental supervision every moment of the day! Well done, mate!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jay
    I suspect the shift manager won't get it, because his stupidity is intractable, but a few others might have. To be honest, I don't care too much either way - if I attract any opprobrium, I'm in the mood to respond in kind.
    There is a quid pro quo with my daughter - she's had to put up with me emoting at her twice today, and has coped admirably. I know I shouldn't be putting that sort of pressure on her, but there really isn't anyone else who knows enough about the scenario that I can so readily talk to. I just hope I don't alienate her too much.

    Love & best wishes
    Sammy B

    ReplyDelete