Monday 15 December 2014

Pity life didn't imitate art

The Mail on Sunday had a frothing dose of 'outrage' on its front page this weekend, around the BBC's decision to broadcast a reading of a short story about the fictional assassination of Margaret Thatcher. As far as I'm concerned, no public figure in this country, in my lifetime, has been so richly deserving of being assassinated than that vile petit bourgoeise harridan who destroyed so many lives, including my dad's, with her 'greed is good', 'no such thing as society' policies. One of the quotes that might have made me laugh at its hyperbole, had it not been for its source, was the one which described the story as 'a sick book from a sick mind'. Who was the quote from? Norman Tebbit, one of the most deeply unpleasant people ever to have served in any UK government, in my opinion, almost more doctrinaire in his Thatcherism than Thatcher herself. 'A sick mind'? Physician, heal thyself. The woman was dreadful almost beyond words when she was alive, to have her become the subject of a posthumous 'personality cult' is positively stomach-turning.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. I'm not too up on Ms. Thatcher other than to remember her as looking rather frumpy all the time.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      She was utterly appalling, as far as I'm concerned. Even now, nearly thirty years after my dad died, and nearly two since the death of the woman herself, I still hate her with a passion. But you probably guessed that!

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete