Wednesday 3 December 2014

The corner

The one I've painted myself into, that is, seems to be getting smaller by the day. K and I came as close to an argument, before I went to work last night, as we have since she moved in. I was more to blame than her, because I reacted, not so much to what she did, but to how it reminded me of other things, past and present. It reminded me both of how isolated I am, in literal and sociological terms, and also of how her mother and I related, or more accurately, failed to relate to each other during the latter part of our marriage. K and I did, I think, mend fences before I had to leave, but it's left me with a sense of having to walk on eggshells as regards what subjects, or aspects of subjects, I can talk to my daughter about. And not wanting to lose her as well as everything else that's gone, that is inevitably going to lead to a 'blanding-down' of our interactions, an aversion to talking about anything that might be in any way controversial. Just like this blog, really. There's going to be a lot more having to be held inside. Whether that is, ultimately, a good thing is doubtful, to say the least.

Love & best wishes to all
Sammy B

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear, Sammy! Please email me, and add some detail. I would be willing to help you work through this. I've had teenagers in the house, you know. For years.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jay
      K and I are, I think, back on an even keel for the moment, but I'm not planning to rock that particular boat any time soon. It wasn't about 'the teenager', in any case, unless you count the 13 year old boy who lives in my head. But your offer is, as ever, genuinely appreciated.

      Love & best wishes
      Sammy B

      Delete